Friday 18 November 2016

The teacher’s pet

I was so late for class! Surbhi ma’am was going to kill me. I somehow rush up the two floors, reaching my class right when my roll number is being called. Cliché.
“Ruchi?” she calls out
“Yes ma’am.” I ask in fear.
“Why are you late? Just don’t argue. Sit in your place.” She says, an exhausted look on her face. She’s usually never like this. I wonder what the matter is.
After a boring first period of ma’am teaching us Chemistry in the dullest mood possible, we break for snacks. I trot up to my friend, Arushi.
“What’s up with Surbhi ma’am? She’s usually strict yet cheerful, unlike today.” Arushi comments and I can’t help but nod in agreement. We are just heading to the washroom, when Sundaram, an annoying guy in class calls me.
“Surbhi ma’am is calling you in the staffroom.” This doesn’t sound good. She isn’t really fond of me; I wonder what she has to say to me. I walk to the staffroom, quickly explaining to Arushi the situation.
I take permission and walk inside.
“How may I help you ma’am?” I ask, cautiously.
“Please file the leave letters for the month of July and August.” She says, dismissing me off with a nod. As I turn around, I see her phone’s wallpaper. It’s the cutest Pug anyone could ever see. I head towards the door when I hear a sob. I turn around slightly to see ma’am looking at her wallpaper, tears rolling down her cheeks. I’m suddenly not able to cope up in the awkward atmosphere.
“She was my pug. Her name was Cookie. She died 2 days back.” I hear her say. I let out an unexpected gasp. I contemplate between walking out and consoling her. I opt for the latter and I kneel down in front of her.
“Ma’am, Cookie was lucky to have you. You did everything you could to make her happy. Please call for me if I could help in anyway. She’ll always be there in your heart.” I quickly say, get up, dust my uniform and walk out.

My relations with her couldn’t get any better.
-Himanshi Pande

No comments:

Post a Comment